The Researcher’s First Search Step:
Search Real Fast Automates and Simplifies the Process
Designed by a researcher and engineer just like you!
Pete Fenner designed Search Real Fast to help deliver a unique and needed search front-end service for engineers, scientists and researchers. It was Pete’s belief that a faster and more precise approach was needed for online technology and prior art searching of the widely available public Government, Technology, and Patent databases employing keywords.
Do you -- Spend too much time identifying enough relevant keywords?
When you type four or five relevant keywords into Google Scholar, do you get thousands of results – way too many to evaluate? Then you identify more keywords and try more searches until you have enough relevant keywords to return just 10 to 50 results - A realistic number to evaluate. This keyword identification process may take you 10, 20 or more minutes.
Search Real Fast statistically computes the 20 most relevant keywords in your text document in under 10 seconds!!
Do you --Spend too much time typing specific queries to each different database you want to search?
After you get a good set of relevant keywords for Google Scholar, you cannot just copy-and-paste them into Free Patents Online or a USPTO search site. They will not work! Both these patent sites use special search syntax and directives. After you copy the keyword string into Free Patents Online, you still have to edit it to match their particular query syntax. This is tedious, error-prone, and time-consuming.
Search Real Fast automatically computes the correct query string syntax for each of our Library Search Sites each time you select or change a keyword. No typing, easy, error free, and you immediately see the generated query string in our display!
It does not matter if a product manual, a technical journal, a news publication, or a patent application describes technology similar to your idea. They are all just different forms of a technical publication in your area of technology. They can all be patent prior-art! You should search them all using similar search queries to discover as much relevant published information as possible to clearly identify the uniqueness and novelty of your idea.
Why Search Real Fast – What are the Benefits?
Search Real Fast delivers four core benefits to help the researcher succeed in targeting the best results:
Search Real Fast saves significant time by identifying keywords, automatically building database queries, logging all transactions, and providing research milestone Snapshot reports.
Users select a target database to search from an impressive list of over 100 databases located in our Search Site Library that includes:
3D CAD Design & Models
- Cults3D.com - 3D Printer models for Art, Gadgets, Architecture, etc.
- GrabCAD - Over 1 million free files
- instructables.com - How To Instruction documents
- shapeways.com 3D Printing models
- Sketchup 3D Wearhouse
- Traceparts - Product Content Everywhere
- TurboSquid - Professional 3D models.
- YouMagin.com - 3D Printer Designs
Academic and Technology Subscription databases
- ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers
- Association of Computer Mach.
- Gale - Cengage Database Search
- Google Scholar
- HathiTrust Digital Library
- JSTOR.com (public version)
- WorldCat.org - OCLC
Biotechnology & Infomatics
- BioMed Central
- Ensembl - Search gene sequence & annotation
- KeraFAST Inc
- Toolbox at the EBI Search
- UniProt - Protein sequence and functional info
Corporate Search Sites
- Cisco Networks
- Fuentek LLC Blog Search
- IAM- Intellectual Asset Management
- ThomasNet - US Product Information
Electronic Circuit Design
- ElectronicDesign.com Publication search site
- HobbyProjects.com Electronics Circuits & Tutorials
General Search Sites
- CiteseerX (Public version)
- Dogpile Search Engine
- Google Books
- Hong Kong Trade Development Council
- Yahoo search
Intellectual Property Management
- Wellspring Blog search
Law Firm Search Sites
- Bloomberg BNA Legal solutions
- Fish & Richardson Post-Grant site
- McGladrey LLP - RMS LLP worldwide group
Patent Related Search Sites
- Covalent Data (formerly CollectiveIP)
- Google Patents -Original site.
- LENS - (formerly Patent Lens)
- New Patents.Google.com
- PatSnap Field Search Link
- SRF USPTO Class Estimate Beta test
- USPTO Applications
- USPTO Patents
- WIPO - World Intellectual Property Organization
UK Government Search Sites
- GOV.UK United Kingdom Gov. search
University General and Technology Related Search Sites
- Amer Chem Society Journals & Publications
- Amer Chem Society General Search
- Appropedia.org Collaborative solutions
- arXiv.org Full Text Search -Cornell University
- AUTM - Global Technology Portal
- AzTE - Arizona State Technology Enterprises
- Chemical Abstract Service - ACS
- CogPrints -Cognitive Science ePrint Archive
- EBSCOhost Connection Public Site
- European BioFuels Tech Platform
- Ingentaconnect Publisher Search
- Knovel Search Public by Elsevier
- Making of America - UMich.edg
- Microsoft Academic Search
- National Academies Press
- NDLTD - Networked Digital Library -Theses & Dissertations
- PubGet - Buy PDF copies of Pubmed articles
- Public Library of Science - Medical & Life Science
- Rutgers University TechFinder
- SAE International - Aerospace, Automotive, and Commercial
- SHARE - Open Science Framework
- SPIE Digital Library
- Taylor Francis Online
- Tech Transfer Central
- Texas Digital Library - All of DSpace
- U-of-AZ Tech Launch Arizona
- UMI Dissertation Express -NA & EU since 1861
- University of Minnesota OTC
- Bioethics Research Library at Georgetown U
- European Library - 48 Libraries
- Georgetown University Library OneSearch
- Imperial College Library
- SMU Central Library Search
- Tarrant County College Libraries
- Texas A&M Library Guides
- Texas Tech Library Discovery Service
- U of Kentucky Main Page
- UT Arlington Libraries
- WPI Gordon Library (public version)
US Government Search Sites
- BusinessUSA - US Gov. Business Portal
- ClinicalTrials.org U.S. National Institutes of Health
- DTIC - US Defense Dept. Technical Information Center
- EDGAR - US SEC -Securities & Exchange Commission
- ERIC - US Gov. Institute of Educational Sciences
- FCC.gov - Federal Communications Commission
- GPO Catalog of U.S. Gov. Publications
- GPO- FDSYS - US Gov. Publications
- GSA eLibrary search
- Homeland Security Digital Library - Pubic collection
- HubMed Search Site
- Information Bridge - Dept of Energy
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- NASA Technical Report Server
- National Science Foundation Funding
- National Transportation Library -Integrated Search
- NCBI Tools
- NITS - US National Institute of Standards & Technology
- NTIS.gov - National Tech Info Service
- PubChem - US National Library of Medicine
- PubMed - National Institute of Health
- Research.gov US Gov Grants database
- SciTech Connect US Gov.
- TRAIL- US Gov. Technical Report & Images before 1976
- US Government Grants - grants.gov
- US National Archieves
- World Wide Energy Beta
As a researcher you need to know if your idea is unique enough to start down the time consuming “research and development” road. How can you have this wisdom if you don’t know how and where to start?
How do you know — Use Search Real Fast
Search Real Fast is a very low cost web service that searches “real fast” by automatically:
- Identifying relevant keywords to use in search
- Ranking keywords to direct search
- Identifying key sentences to validate keywords
- Building complex search queries to selected databases
- Logging search activity to rapidly recall prior searches
The researcher now has a single web screen to manage his initial and ongoing search activity… where every key function is automated… and no professional search skills are required!
What are the Features of Search Real Fast?
Search Real Fast has developed a sophisticated text parsing tool to identify and rank the most relevant keywords from a related text; such as an existing draft description, abstract, product brochure or patent description. The user then selects a number of those keywords and Search Real Fast automatically builds query scripts for the targeted search site.
Search Real Fast is delivered as an online service accessed by all common browsers. Each search is logged and an iterative process enables the user to quickly find the most relevant documents.
- Secure process to protect your idea
- Single web screen to manage the entire process
- Type, paste or upload text files for automatic keyword processing
- Automatic generation of keywords by sophisticated text parsing algorithm
- Automatic generation of key sentences to use for keyword validation (our Keyword Semantic Context™)
- Additional user input function of both keywords and synonyms
- Automatic construction of database search query (no typing required!)
- Builds custom, complex queries for each user selected site including Google Scholar, Google Patents, Google Search, FreePatentsOnline (FPO), Espacenet, The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) plus MANY MORE sites through our Search Site Library!
- Iterative, option-directed search process (keywords, stemmed words, synonyms, date range, database target, search scope)
- History log to help manage activity (click here to review Security Policies)
- Special Support link for both support questions and future release suggestions
The following booklet offers more details on the features of Search Real Fast:The Science Behind Search Real Fast
Search Real Fast Delivers Great Value to Universities
Search Real Fast is designed to stimulate research and entrepreneurial excellence at your University.
- Do your researchers spend a lot of time trying to identify the best keywords?
- Do your researchers have to learn all of the unique search syntax for each different search database that they use?
- Do your researchers have to manually track (i.e. with spreadsheets) all of their search histories to evaluate the different keyword combinations and different databases?
Search Real Fast resolves each of these issues – by automating each one of them.
Whether or not a university has a formal Technology Transfer Office (TTO), Search Real Fast offers unique value to the entire process of research and commercialization.
- Search Real Fast can save a university hundreds or perhaps thousands of dollars on each research (idea) disclosure.
- Search Real Fast can increase the depth and breadth of research accompanying each new disclosed research idea.
- Search Real Fast can help increase the number and quality of new research ideas being disclosed.
- Search Real Fast is so automated that students and faculty can use it for prior-art research with little or no training. Over 70 WPI students have used Search Real Fast to conduct effective prior-art searches for their projects!
"The students are doing such a good job searching using Search Real Fast; I don’t have to do any preliminary prior-art searching myself!" - Todd Keiller, Director of Intellectual Property & Innovation at Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
Most universities struggle with poorly written disclosures and limited researcher engagement in the formal process of turning your researcher ideas into a commercial success.
The following video offers you, the TTO Director, a good overview of how Search Real Fast will help you:
The unique value of Search Real Fast can be significant in terms of saving money, improving processes and facilitating a better relationship between your researcher and your Technology Transfer Office.
Search Real Fast also helps patent attorneys!
Most patent attorneys don’t often have the time to do the initial patent search for a client. So, they spend money on third-party services.
Search Real Fast eliminates the third-party time and expense and allows an attorney to offer this initial search quickly and inexpensively.
The following booklet offers more details on how Search Real Fast can help a patent attorney:How Search Real Fast Can Help the Patent Attorney
The whitepaper below underscores the importance of a patent attorney:The Top 10 Critical Issues that an Inventor Must Understand about the Patent Process
Patents Real Fast LLC (PRF) — now doing business as Search Real Fast — was launched in the fall of 2011 after the research team developed unique patent search technology to help inventors and patent practitioners.
The research effort was initiated by Pete Fenner, President of Lightbus Technologies and Fenner Investments Limited. The research project was directed by Dr. Margaret Dunham, Professor of Computer Science at Southern Methodist University (SMU) and delivered by SMU graduate student, Badhrinath Sampathkumar.
Mr. Fenner has a lengthy background with both patents and the technology search process. He understands how time-consuming and cumbersome the search process can be and considered for some time how to dramatically speed up this process. The research effort led to the launch of this new search enterprise. Now we have expanded Search Real Fast to build custom search queries to numerous technology databases found on the World Wide Web and changed our web domain name to searchrealfast.com.
The following booklet offers more details on the history of Search Real Fast:The History Behind Search Real Fast